Time Saving Tips to Speed Up Your Job Search
1. Have a separate professional sounding email address that you use when contacting potential employers and submitting resumes. Avoid email addresses like, imarockstar[at]site.com or partygal[at]site.com. These types of addresses should be saved for your friends and personal use only.
2. Always have an up-to-date resume ready to send even if you are not currently looking for work. You never know when an opportunity that is too good to pass up might come along.
3. Have copies of your resume and cover letter ready to edit. That way you can change the content to match the requirements of the job you’re applying for, but, the contact information and your opening and closing paragraphs won’t need to be changed.
4. Use the job search engines and various job boards to search the company sites, associations, and other sites with job postings for you. Don’t limit your job searching to the top sites like Monster or Careerbuilder. Check the smaller niche sites that focus on a particular geographic location or career field and you will find plenty of job listings.
5. Use job search agents to sign up and receive job listings by email. All the major job sites have search agents and some web sites specialize in sending announcements.
6. Consider getting help writing or editing your resume. Resume posting services that post your resume to multiple job sites at once can save you hours of time.
7. Have a list of 3 – 5 current references including name, job title, company, phone number and email address ready to give to interviewers.
8. Use Your Network. Most job openings aren’t advertised. Tell everyone you know that you are looking for work. Ask if they can help.
Finally, persistence. Don’t give up and land the job of your dreams.